A Community Approach to the Opioid Crisis in Rural Alaska
Stephanie Stillwell, GSquared
How do you overcome dwindling public health service money from state government and engage a community in creating sustainable solutions to its opioid crisis? Stephanie Stillwell shares a model that is continuing to evolve and work in Homer, Alaska.
Stephanie’s passion for community wellness began as a young girl—observing the health issues in her own extended family. Today, she is tackling the opioid epidemic by inviting people from all walks of life to participate in the conversation and join a community task force.
In this video you will discover:
- How a community can begin to help itself.
- A model for community involvement that involves eight dimensions of health.
- How the model was adapted for the community of Homer, Alaska.
- How the model continues to evolve.
- The benefits of inviting everyone to participate in the conversation.